Sunday, February 28, 2016

New Release: Out of Nowhere (Middle of Somewhere #2)


Title: Out of Nowhere (Middle of Somewhere #2)

Author: Roan Parish

Publisher/GR Link: Dreamspinner

Genre: MM Contemporary

Vice: OFY, traumatic past, homophobia

Rating: 5 Stars

Lock this book up: 3.5 Stars.  The sex is very hot and helps to move along the story line.

Length: Novel

Satisfaction: HEA

Cover Impressions: Gorgeous.

Best Line: “I love you too,” he says.. And I don’t have to see his face to know that he is smiling.”

Synopsis: The only thing in Colin Mulligan’s life that makes sense is taking cars apart and putting them back together. In the auto shop where he works with his father and brothers, he tries to get through the day without having a panic attack or flying into a rage. Drinking helps. So do running and lifting weights until he can hardly stand. But none of it can change the fact that he’s gay, a secret he has kept from everyone.

Rafael Guerrera has found ways to live with the past he’s ashamed of. He’s dedicated his life to social justice work and to helping youth who, like him, had very little growing up. He has no time for love. Hell, he barely has time for himself. Somehow, everything about miserable, self-destructive Colin cries out to him. But down that path lie the troubles Rafe has worked so hard to leave behind. And as their relationship intensifies, Rafe and Colin are forced to dredge up secrets that both men would prefer stay buried.

Impressions: This book was not always easy to read, but it was always worth it.  I could not tear myself away from Colin, who narrates his own difficult tale, until I was sure that Rafe and he could make it to a brighter part of their dark journeys.

Colin was such a hated and hateful character in book 1, it was hard for me to imagine that I would ever feel badly for him.  I loved book 1, and I was ready to read anything created by this author.

In book 2, Colin doesn’t start off any more likable than he was in book 1, but there is a certain vulnerability that builds off the last time we had seen him in book 1.  I reread book 1 right before this one, and I am glad I did.  Parrish expertly overlaps the chronology of these two stories and provides an insight into Colin’s terrible self image and family past.  With each word I began to realize Colin’s struggle until my heart hurt along with him.

Rafe was a great counterpart for Colin.  He is tough and strong, yet compassionate and patient.  He never seemed to lose his own identity and self worth in the face of Colin’s hurt and pain, and I respected him for that.  He was a wonderful man for Colin, but he brought his own strength and past to the equation.


The secondary characters (including some awesome queer kids!), and revisits from Dan and Rex made this book and even bigger gift.  I know it is only February, but this might be a best of 2016 already.

No comments:

Post a Comment